Monday, June 27, 2011

More scale maille

I am aware scale maille is a not an entirely accurate term for scale armor.  I sometimes call it that anyway.

After a few failed experiments, I figured out how to wear my scale maille.



(once again I have no idea why Blogger decided that picture should be portrait, and can see no way to adjust it).




The way the scales slide and fold at the wrist is quite fascinating.

Right now the scales are just sewn onto the glove, all along the edges, using Button & Craft thread.  I suspect the scales are sharp enough to slice through the thread, so when that happens I'll have to look for some strong thread (hopefully with wires which can't be sliced through).



My new scales arrived: more green, more blue, gold, and purple.  I started this design, then decided it had too much gold for my taste and took it apart.


This design has just the right amount of gold, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.  I was originally thinking of making a wide bracelet, but the scales are just too thick for that.  I might extend it into a bracer, or make a pouch.


And I still have my purple scales to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment